The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.

Friday, June 1, 2007

Timing is everything is finding a travel

A European based airline FlyGlobespan (www.flyglobespan.com) recently announced new nonstop service from Boston MASS to Glasgow Scotland & were offering $99.00 fares each way.

I have a meeting over there in the fall so I thought I’d construct my own travel plan. The FlyGlobespan flights were available at a base cost of $198.00 round trip plus domestic flights from Columbus OH to Boston priced out at $118.00 round trip. Adding these point to point fares together I had created an amazingly low airfare of $318.00 round trip plus a $100.00 or so in taxes and fees. CHEAP compared to what the other carriers were quoting for traveling during the same period.

But these were instant purchase non refundable tickets and I needed the OK from my traveling companion. It took me about 30 minutes to track down my colleague and secure approval.

Credit card out and ready to purchase I went back to the website only to discover that the $99.00 fare was sold out and my total round trip had increased by about $400.00 per ticket.

So the teaching point here is if you’re shopping for an air bargain or really any travel special be ready to buy it when you find it! That special may not be available when you go back to buy it.