The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Breezing through the rental car check-in process

On most of my journeys I tend to use public transportation, chartered coach service or a friends vehicle so it’s been a while since I’ve rented a car. But on a recent vacation to Orlando I needed my own wheels. After some exhaustive research I decided that Alamo Rental offered the best deal for me.

I booked my reservation and noticed on their web site that I could check in early for my rental. So I followed the easy to use instructions inputted data like driver’s license and credit numbers and in a matter of a few key strokes I had a check in confirmation from them.

Their instructions stated that after reclaiming my luggage I was to proceed to their parking area located the category of the car that had selected, load my bags and drive to the check out gate. Out.

Arriving at the gate the attendant checked my paperwork and in a matter of minutes wished me a happy trip and I was on my way.

I noticed that there were lines of 20 plus people at the Alamo check in counter in baggage claim and also the parking lot office so I guesstimated that I saved myself a ½ hour or more.

No stress, no up selling or insurance offers just affordable convenience. The biggest problem of the day was selecting what color of car we wanted to drive around in.

Score one for Alamo.