The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Some reader's questions

Here's a recent email: I am a single woman, age 60ish, recently unemployed but looking to travel the rest of my years away on a limited budget. I am now traveling the east coast of Florida and am going to check for last-minute cruise deals to the Bahamas or the Caribbean for a 3-5 day cruise. Any suggestions? My thought now is also turning toward working on a cruise ship. How would I go about applying for work aboard a cruise ship? My third question is: what about obtaining free airfare for delivering packages for companies? How do I go about finding this information and how to make contacts. I enjoy your site and have much to learn from your experiences. I greatly appreciate any suggestions you can give me. Thanks! On the road in FLA

Dear on the road in FLA:
There's a cruise company, Discovery Cruises, that basically shuttles between Ft. Lauderdale and Freeport in the Bahamas. You can enjoy a cruise like atmosphere on the voyage. They offer inexpensive transportation and then you can spend a few days at a hotel in the Bahamas. Visit http://www.discoverycruiseline.com/.

For land visit http://www.bahamas.com/ and follow the links to New Providence Island-Freeport.

As far as last minute cruises the best way is to check the cruise line webs or pick up a Sunday FLA paper and see if there are any agencies advertising cheap last minute FLA. departures.

Concerning a job with the cruise lines if you're in Miami stop by the headquarters of Carnival, Royal Caribbean & Norwegian Cruise Lines. Or apply online at their websites look under the career-jobs-employment links.

Your question about free air refers to the courier business and I haven't heard much about it recently.

Technology has replaced much of the old personal delivery system but I'll keep my eyes & ears open.

Happy travels.