The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Computer less in a tech driven world

Ouch! I've been computer less for about a week and didn’t realize how attached I was to these machines.

First a recycler virus infected the home desktop. The same annoying “stop spy ware” website kept attempting to load & locking up the machine. After my futile efforts of running virus and anti-spy ware scans failed it was time to take the tower to the shop for a cleansing.

Then the lap top failed at my office. Here I am with two computers and both of them in the shop at the same time. Sure I could have headed down the hallway to the computer lab but that just did not feel right.

Dead in the water I had to resort to doing work the old fashioned way. Pen and paper in hand I preceded in what I considered a very inefficient fashion.

I don’t recall the last time I wrote my notes out long hand. I’m always (or it seems) using a word processor program to type out my outlines, letters and other correspondence.


Hours were spent holding on the phone as I tried to obtain information from companies. Many of the responses from the human at the other end of telephone attempted to steer me to their websites. All the answers and information that I required was posted on the Internet. I just had to access their site and navigate to the appropriate sections. Talk about passing the buck and a lack of customer concern.

More on the tech world to follow.