The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Travel & the electronic mail monster

The latest travel adventure is finished. Home at last!

The act of flying used to be a pleasant experience but in today’s climate it’s an endurance test. Lines, plenty of them along with crowds of frenzied, rude fellow travelers, clueless airport employees and ego centric TSA security personnel can turn any 2 hour flight into a 6 hour marathon.

Now I get to wade through over 2000 messages in my email in box and I’ll bet you that less than 10% are real or of any substance. I turned on my “out of the office” vacation automatic response features so many of the replies will be from the robot delivery services with a note” this message cannot be delivered”.

Those messages are in my school mailbox. There are about 750 in my personal one. Hopefully the spam filter has worked and eliminated a lot of the unwanted ones. I do receive quite a few newsletters, supplier updates and personal items so I betting most of these transactions will be legit.

For me email has replaced the telephone and its companion voice mail. The home phone only had 4 messages and over the course of the week I picked up about 30 messages at the office. Armed with a new cell phone plan I returned many of these calls and business chugged along as usual.

Actually this is not a bad price to pay for not being linked for a week. I’ll trade bright blue skies, 80 degree weather, daily rounds of golf and Cleveland Indians spring baseball with plenty of fresh Florida seafood anytime.

Now it is time to tackle office inbox & USPS mail!

I'll talk with you soon.