The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

John Brown's Raid & Western Maryland

For my John Brown Raid and Civil War field trip I’m planning on staying in Frederick MD and do what is called “hub & spoke” touring. My hotel will the hub while the spokes are my journeys out to explore the destinations and attractions of the region.

Northern and Southern armies passed through here on their way on their way to Antietam in 1862; and parts of the Union army went north through here on the way to Gettysburg in 1863. Confederate Gen. Jubal Early demanded (and got) a $200,000 ransom here before fighting near the Monocacy River just south. The influx of wounded to the city following the big battles makes it a natural location for the National Museum of Civil War Medicine.

Location wise Frederick is positioned about an hour from Baltimore or Washington and it’s an easy drive to famous civil War sites like Gettysburg, Antietam and Harpers Ferry. It still has a classic compact downtown area that offers plenty of shopping and dining opportunities.

I’ll update you all on my travel plans in my next posting.

Happy travels!