The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

How Do I Make Sure My Hotel Room Is Clean?

First thanks for the great question as I’m sure everyone has opened the hotel door to disaster more than once. I know that I have experienced some extremely filthy and well worn guest rooms.

I do not have a simple answer to your question because no national or international standards for hotel cleanliness exist. Price, location or a brand name will not always guarantee completely sanitary accommodations. So until some international "clean police" squad starts fanning out over the globe to inspect toilets and sheets in hotels around the world, your best bet is to find out what your fellow travelers are saying.

Seek recommendation from friends, relatives, business associates, travel agents and so forth and ask them where they stayed while at destination X. We interact with plenty of people that would be willing to share an honest appraisal of a property.

Most travel and hotel review web sites have a cleanliness category in the hotel evaluation area so read these postings. One of my favorites is
TripAdvisor, which offers user ratings of thousands hotels, restaurants and businesses around the world; you can also find hotel reviews on other major booking engines such as Travelocity and Orbitz.

There are other steps to take but I’ll talk about those in another post.