The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email

Friday, May 29, 2009

New 2009 Travel Requirements for Travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean

Currently all individuals traveling by air outside the U.S. are required to present a passport or approved travel document to enter/re-enter the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean. Beginning on June 1, 2009, the requirement will be extended to those also traveling by land and sea.

It is my understanding that now only a valid passport or passport card will be accepted. Gone are the good ole days of a drivers license and birth certificate. In most locales your local post office is the place to start your passport application process. To obtain a passport you'll need an official birth certificate, government issued photo id card, the application and appropriate fee.

The new requirement is part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), which is overseen by the U.S. Departments of State and Homeland Security. For more information, see the
State Department Summary.

For more information be sure to review the policy on the U.S. Government's official
WHTI website or contact your travel supplier.

Happy travels!