The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

CK Crash football & touring Ironton, Catlettsburg and Kenova

I recently mentioned my great experience watching the Ceredo Kenova Crash a semi pro football team. With guests in from out of town (Arizona) I wanted to make it a true tri-state river experience so in addition to the football game. I planned to play tour guide and conduct some local sightseeing along with a riverside dining stop.

I drove them through Ironton’s downtown and they marveled at all the flowers. They were amazed with all the large pots, hanging baskets and other floral displays. Great job Ironton in Bloom! My guests want to know what fertilizer you use.


I timed it so we had a chance to park the car and stroll through and browse the vendors stalls at the 2nd street “Farmers Market” en route to lunch at the Fuzzy Duck. Admittedly it is an interesting name for a restaurant but dining on an open air deck inside the Center Street floodwalls seemed like a perfect way to enjoy the weather and Ohio River. Hailing from Arizona my “tourists” soaked up the river traffic and the vibrant greenery of the river valley.

After a lunch complete with some killer sweet potato fries we loaded up crossed the Ohio and headed for the floodwall murals of Ashland and Catlettsburg KY. Many of us that live in the area take attractions like these for granted but my group was astonished not only by the fantastic art work but also the size of the walls. Time permitting tomorrow I may run them down river to Portsmouth to catch their murals and to show them the high water mark of the 37 flood.

But let’s get back to our Saturday pre game activities. For a quick snack and ice cream treat we’re going to stop at Griffith and Feil. This Kenova drug store features a soda fountain that takes me back to the TV show “Happy Days”. Their soda fountain is made up of entirely original machinery and continues to crank out deliciously hand-mixed sodas, shakes and malts. In addition to their drinks and ice cream treats they have a menu that offers an array of sandwiches, burgers and salads. Yummy!

Filled up it is time to load up as it is game time gang!

Depending on when we leave Ward –Craycraft I have another WV treat to share. About a five minute drive from the stadium over Ceredo way is Austin's Homemade Ice Cream. Homemade ice cream need do I say more.

What a way to end a pleasant staycation day. Happy travels!